Monday, June 9, 2008

The Latest Question from Loco Gringo

Posted by CoachM:
My wife and I bought at place in a sub division of Chemuyil and have stayed at Akumal Beach Resort a few times. I am a really big fisherman and have taken a couple of small boat charters at the resort in January. We will be down there June 21st -28th. Any advice on Charters and where to fish from shore. I will be spin casting and don't have a clue on bait, lures, etc?

My Response:
June is an AWESOME time to go fishing on the Mayan Riviera. Mahi Mahi are running, they taste great, they are prolific reproducers and are fast-growning and short-lived so you can actually harvest a few without feeling guilty and they are pretty as all get out. I would second the earlier suggestion for flats fishing. I would go ahead and pay the money for a guide from Boca Paila Fishing Camp or Pesca Maya (my favorite). Be up-front with them. Let them know that you own a place in Chemuyil, that you want to learn about some places you can wade to. I think that will be pretty straight with you. You may have a little more luck as far as finding places to wade if you go with Boca Paila Fishing Camp and it is a little closer to you. As for off-shore, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions you have gotten so far. As Iguana Mama stated, Carlos from Cueva del Pescador is very popular. I have heard nothing but good things about him. Personally, I always go out with Francisco who you can book through Akumal Dive Center. As for what kind of fishing you will do, just tell them what you want to do when you book. If you definitly want to catch something, go bottom fish, but for me, in June, I would troll, troll, troll and get into the mahi, marlin, sailfish or even some tuna. June is too good a month to spend soaking baits on the bottom. That said, maybe you could do 2 hours of trolling and an hour of bottom fishing. They will do whatever you ask, just be clear about what you want. All of those guys are cool. Who wouldn't be? They get to go fishing everyday! Anyway, if you want more details, you can visit my less-than-stellar blog (you see I.G., I stopped saying "crappy" just for you) www dot ****fishing dot blogspot dot com (I have to spell out the address or it gets filtered).You should find some good information. I could talk for a hours about lures, tackle, etc, but check out the blog first, if you have more questions, I'm happy to help, just PM me. Good luck, Jim

And then a follow up:
Shoot, I need to spell it out again: www dot mayan riviera fishing dot blogspot dot com. I also forgot to mention that Captain Ricks out of Pueto Adventuras is substantially more expensive, but you also go out on actually sport fishing boats, more comfortable and probably a little more palatable for those who are a little nervous about going out on the ocean. One thing I have noticed though is that the larger sport fishing boats willl fish exactly the same water as the small pangas. Anyway, I have heard nothing but good things about Captain Rick but I have not had any experience with him myself. Personally, I like the "panga" experience. Just another step closer to the whole "Old Man and the Sea" experience. I actually got to catch a 4 1/2 ft lemon shark on a hand line last year. Pretty cool experience.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi fellas,
Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
If someone want to read more about that best baitcasting reel I think this is the right place for you!

Ooooo, Barracuda!

Ooooo, Barracuda!
A typical late fall catch out of Akumal including barracuda, king mackerel, trigger fish, red snapper, grey snapper, red mouths (white grunts) strawberry grouper (red hinds) and bluestriped grunts

Boat Rods and Reels

Boat Rods and Reels
Some of the boat gear described in the post from November 11, 2008

Butterfly and other Jigs

Butterfly and other Jigs
My new technique this year: deep jigging or freestyle jigging with Shimano Butterfly jigs, Deadly Dicks, Krocodiles, Williamson speed jigs, diamond jigs, and Offshore Angler Freestyle jigs (not pictured).

Trolling (mostly) Lures

Trolling (mostly) Lures
Some Magnum Rapalas and X Raps and a Saltwater Sliver, a big Yozuri popper, bonita, Cuda Tube and a Williamson ballyhoo swimbait.