Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I heard back from Jenny and Spencer (from LocoGringo):
Jim,Thank you so much for that information!!!! I forwarded it to my husband and he is SUPER excited! I really cannot thank you enough for putting the effort into such a detailed response. I am also super excited because my favorite fish to eat is the mahi mahi. We will definitely take a local boat out of Akumal and do some ocean fishing, do you have any recommendations for specific individuals??? You really made our day, I did not think we could be more excited about our trip, but now we are ecstatic! Hubby is also excited about the other opportunities as well and just needs to figure out how much he wants to spend. Once again thank you so much for being such a generous resource! Jenny and Spencer

I responded:
Actually, you kind of made my day. I am a copy/technical writer and I usually have to write about stuff that, quite frankly, I just don't care about that much. So thank YOU for the chance to write about something that I like! As for individuals, there are plenty that are all very good. I have gone out with several, but for the last 2 years I only go out with Francisco Pena, and I doubt I will ever go out with anyone else. Not because the others aren't as good--they are all good--but because I just like talking to him about fishing, his is totally fine with me bringing my own stuff, he will let me try new things if I feel like it, and is just a generally nice guy. Also, he is a "fishing only" guy, not one of the ones who does fishing one day, then snorkeling the next, followed by diving on the third. He fishes, that's it. Plus, he does very well in the local tournaments that they have going on down there from time to time. To book Francisco, you go to Akumal Dive Center. That is the one RIGHT ON THE BEACH next to the Lol Ha Restaurant. When you get there, ask for Jose. He is the one who owns the boat and will be the one with whom you will do the transaction. Just ask for Francisco. Do yourself a favor and go out early. They will take really good care of you and will also provide drinks--I think they also provide beer if you are into that--and no, you don't have to worry about Francisco getting drunk--he won't drink beer while captaining :). By the way, I am logging these questions and responses on my blog: www.mayanrivierafishing.blogspot.com. I will add some links there for some other fishing info sites and for Pesca Maya and Boca Paila fishing lodge.Please feel free to stay in touch!!--Jim

2 comments:

Abbas Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abbas Ali said...

Hi Jim,
Great Blog, i am going to be at Sando's select Playa del Carmen at the end of December, i guess Akumal i'snt that far. Plan to sneak in some fishing with my wife while i'm there. I want to avoid the big charters and would be interested in taking out a local guide with a small Skiff. Just wanted to get some advice of who to contact before i get there so that i can get the right person to go out fishing with during the dates i'm there. Would it be possible to contact the place in advance and make a booking with someone you would recommend. Also would i need to take my own tackle of would it be provided. Would appreciate any advice and information about the latest for fishing in the area. Approx how much should i expect to pay for the the day for the boat and how much would be a recommended Tip etc.
Would i be able to somehow contact the Akumal Dive shop in advance and make a booking with the people you mentioned?..seems like Akumal isn't that far from where i will be staying

Ooooo, Barracuda!

Ooooo, Barracuda!
A typical late fall catch out of Akumal including barracuda, king mackerel, trigger fish, red snapper, grey snapper, red mouths (white grunts) strawberry grouper (red hinds) and bluestriped grunts

Boat Rods and Reels

Boat Rods and Reels
Some of the boat gear described in the post from November 11, 2008

Butterfly and other Jigs

Butterfly and other Jigs
My new technique this year: deep jigging or freestyle jigging with Shimano Butterfly jigs, Deadly Dicks, Krocodiles, Williamson speed jigs, diamond jigs, and Offshore Angler Freestyle jigs (not pictured).

Trolling (mostly) Lures

Trolling (mostly) Lures
Some Magnum Rapalas and X Raps and a Saltwater Sliver, a big Yozuri popper, bonita, Cuda Tube and a Williamson ballyhoo swimbait.